Saturday, January 8, 2011

Our Story

My name is Jenna and I'm a new mom of fraternal girl triplets. My husband, Gabe, and I have been married for almost 10 years. We tried to conceive a baby for three years before I finally broke down and went to see a fertility specialist. She diagnosed me with PCOS and told us there was very little chance I'd ever be able to conceive with medical help. That's when we started IVF treatments . . .

On our first try we got pregnant with twins. Sadly Twin B miscarried at 8 weeks and Twin A stopped growing at 10 weeks. We went through IVF again and I didn't become pregnant.

I was done trying to have kids but Gabe convinced me to try IVF one last time. We were happily surprised when we got pregnant but shocked to find out there were four babies! We learned that they were all girls at my 18 week ultrasound.

November 30th, we learned that Baby A had died in my belly. I was put on hospital bed rest for the doctors and nurses to monitor the three remaining girls. I was released from the hospital with orders to just "take it easy" for a while two weeks later.

On December 26th 2010 I had an obstetrician appointment. When my OB checked my blood pressure it was at 161/110. She admitted me to the hospital right away. I was given magnesium to try and bring down my blood pressure. It didn't come down until the next Saturday (January 1st 2011). During that week I was air lifted to a hospital with a level 3 neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) because that hospital had a better chance of being able to save the girls if they were born early.

January 1st 2011 at 23 weeks and 5 days pregnant my water broke in the afternoon. I was immediately sent for an emergency c-section.

Savannah Tess was born first. She weighed 1 pound 2 ounces and was 10.5 inches long. She hasn't had anything major. She does have anemia and GERD (reflux) but both are being controlled by medicine.

Olivia Emerson was born next. She weighed 1 pound and was 10 inches long. She has RDS (respiratory distress syndrome) She is being treated and will be on a breathing tube for a while. Since the doctors discovered it she has improved greatly! She also has GERD (reflux) but it's being managed by medicine which is working wonders!

Addisyn Penelope was born least but certainly not last. She was the biggest weighing 1 pound 3 ounces and was 11 inches long. She had PDA (patent ductus arteriosus). Addie was given treatments for it but they didn't work so she had to have surgery on January 6th. The surgery close up the PDA (THANK GOD!) and she is doing much better. Addisyn also has apnea which is commonly found in preemies and it's where the baby "forgets to breathe". Her apnea has resulted in bradycardia. Bradycardia is when a babies heart rate is too low. She's on medication to stimulate her breathing until it all gets sorted out.

My husband and I have been on an emotional roller coaster or rather just me. Gabe has been optimistic and a rock through everything. I on the other hand have not been so stable. The first couple days I was a wreck. just seeing my babies hooked up to all the tubes and wires was so hard for me. I've been better now that I realized they HAVE to be hooked up to the tubes and wires. I have to go home today and the girls obviously have to stay here so I don't know how I'll be but stay tuned for an emotional post later on today . . .

1 comment:

  1. A blog is a great idea! I've been following you and your girls on babycenter and I continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers every day.